Blog

8 Ways to Cope with Anxiety

8 Ways to Cope with Anxiety

8 Ways to Cope with Anxiety

Unsurprisingly the past 6 months have seen anxiety levels rocket.  The onset and impact of Covid-19 with the resultant restrictions, lockdowns, redundancies, illness and fatalities have left most people anxious about the future.  Even the most hardy of individuals could not have failed to be impacted in some way by coronavirus. 

Anxiety can manifest itself in many ways, with some of the most common symptoms being a churning stomach, heart palpitations, a dry mouth and difficulty sleeping.  Many of the current feelings of anxiety and fear are caused by the unknowns surrounding the virus and its potential effect on our health, loved ones, jobs and lifestyle.  This constant worry and uncertainty affects people on both a physical and emotional level.  Your self-talk can often go round in circles and then in a downward spiral, as you ask yourself the same questions: ‘Suppose I get ill?’ ‘What if I can’t work?’ ‘What happens if I lose my job?’ ‘How will we pay the mortgage?’  ‘How on earth will we cope if we go in to lockdown over the dark Winter months?’

This circular over-thinking can be overwhelming and result in you becoming irritable, lacking motivation and energy, having dizzy spells, panic attacks and feeling restless.  There are different types of anxiety and long-term sufferers need to continue to seek professional help in order to manage higher levels of anxiety associated with the global pandemic. 

For those who are experiencing anxiety for the first time, it’s important to remember that you can control your thoughts to reduce the worry, become happier and in turn boost your immune system, which means you are in a stronger position to fight off the disease.  The key is to acknowledge your fears, learn and adopt techniques to combat your worry and seek help if the situation worsens.  Here are 8 Ways to Cope better with Anxiety:

1. Identify the Cause and Triggers:  Ask yourself what’s making you so anxious: is it your over-thinking, past memories, your behaviour, relationships or circumstances beyond your control, such as the coronavirus, or projected fears about the future.

2. Take control:  Write down all the things you are anxious about and for each item ask yourself ‘Is this true?’  For example, ‘If I lose my job, I’ll lose my house.’  Write down all the options available to you in order to address your concerns, such as finding out if you are eligible for a mortgage holiday if the worst did happen.

3. Create an Action Plan:  to address each cause of your worry, whether that is detoxing a negative person from your life, who is constantly bringing down your mood, or strictly limiting time spent on social media or watching the news.

4. Prioritize your Self-care:  Create a work/life balance with a routine of exercise, fresh air, healthy eating and reading helpful motivating books.  Try to limit your caffeine intake as it stimulates the fight/flight stress response and can aggravate feelings of anxiety.

5. Focus on being mindful and present:  Concentrate on the here and now and what is happening in the moment, learn or practice meditation and make a list of what you have to be grateful for.

6. Create a list of positive affirmations or personal mantras:  Say these out loud every morning or when you are feeling particularly anxious, for example ‘I can keep calm today’, ‘I will be able to run for 30 minutes.’

7. Take up a new Hobby or Interest:  Distract yourself from your negative thoughts by learning to cook, studying a new language or learning to play a musical instrument.

8. Be honest:  Tell your partner, family, GP or manager if you begin to feel extremely anxious and can’t cope, for example with the thought of using public transport or returning to the office.  Many companies have an Employee Assistance Programme where you can access free confidential advice from qualified Counsellors.  There are also many online resources. 

Lastly, remember the words of the late Dr Richard Carlson: ‘90% of what you worry about doesn’t happen.  You can’t do anything about the other 10%.’

About Jill Maidment

If you would like to know more about our Consultancy services or to book any of the following, please contact us:

Coaching:
Executive Coaching and Mentoring, Career and Transition Coaching, Business Coaching, Resilience Coaching, Life Coaching Retreats

Assessment:
Executive Assessment, 360 Feedback, Face to Face 360 Feedback, Talent Management and Succession Planning

Training:
Leadership Training, High Performance Leadership Development, Management Training, Leadership and Management Team Development, Board Facilitation, Coaching Academy